Manually Update Ubiquiti UniFi Access Points
Occasionally it may be necessassary to manually update the firmware a Ubiquiti UniFi Access point. This can be performed by con
- From the computer running the Unfi Controller software, open the Ubiquiti UniFi -Discovery Utility. The utily will scan your network and discover all UniFi access points. Make sure your controller is on the same subnet as your access points.
- Once all access points are discovered, located the IP address of the the access point you would like to upgrade the firmware on.
- Using PuTTY or simialar SSH utility connect to the access point.
- Log into the access point using the same username and password as the UniFi controller.
- After you have successfully connected to the access point, enter the following command:
- syswrapper.sh upgrade http://<IP of Controller>:8080/dl/firmware/BZ2/22.214.171.1243/firmware.bin
- Hit Enter. The access point will update. Progress will be shown on the display. The update only takes a minute or so.
- Change <IP of Controller> to the IP address of your UniFi Controller. Do not use the IP address 127.0.0.1, the access point wont find it. Use the subnet IP address such as 192.168.0.X.
- Change the firmware number to the version you are updating. At the time of this post the most recent version was 126.96.36.1993. Make sure the version is the same version as your UniFi controller.
- After the firmware update the UniFi controller software may have troubles adopting the updated access points. If the controller software hangs at “Adopting”, run the following commands from PuTTY:
- set-inform http://<IP of Controller>:8080/inform
- Refresh your screen on the UniFi Controller software and the access points should now show as Provisioning.
- NOTE: In my case the issues above may have been due to a change in subnets. When the access points and UniFi Controller software was initially configured it was setup on a 192.168.10.x subnet. Afterwords everything was moved to a 192.168.50.X subnet. This may have caused issues with the Unifi Controller software automatically updating the firmware on the access points.