Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is an integrated suite of server capabilities that can help improve organizational effectiveness by providing:
- Comprehensive content management and enterprise search
- Accelerating shared business processes
- Facilitating information-sharing across boundaries for better business insight
You can quickly create SharePoint sites that support:
- Specific content publishing
- Content management
- Records management, or Business Intelligence needs
You can also conduct effective searches for people, documents, and data; participate in forms-driven business processes; and access and analyze large amounts of business data.
- Collaboration – Allow teams to work together effectively, collaborate on and publish documents, maintain task lists, implement workflows, and share information through the use of wikis and blogs.
- Portals – Create a personal MySite portal to share information with others and personalize the user experience and content of an enterprise Web site based on the user’s profile.
- Enterprise Search – Quickly and easily find people, expertise, and content in business applications.
- Enterprise Content Management – Create and manage documents, records, and Web content.
- Business Process and Forms – Create workflows and electronic forms to automate and streamline your business processes.
- Business Intelligence – Allow information workers to easily access critical business information, analyze and view data, and publish reports to make better-informed decisions.
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is offered in several levels of functionality.
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 – included with the Microsoft Windows Operating systems. It is limited to Collaboration and is licensed for Internet/Extranet. Even with it’s limited options, it is still a very powerful collaboration tool small/mid sized businesses.
- Office SharePoint Server 2007 Standard – Features collaboration, portals, and enterprise search.
- Office SharePoint Server 2007 Enterprise – Includes all of the features of Standard and adds, enterprise content management, business process and forms, and business intelligence.
- Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Internet – Same as Enterprise and is licensed for public internet usage.